Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Treading water, typing words

Of all the promises I make to myself, exercise is the most easily broken, followed by writing. And I do not make many promises to myself so that's a hefty percentage! Why is it so hard to make time for either of these--both in their way life-giving? 

But that's not what I want to write about. I actually have nothing to write about in this post. This is a treading water, typing words post, intended to remind me of how good it feels to write. If I keep typing, I will remember that it is possible to write. It is possible.

All through the day, I am writing or typing perfectly composed pieces on this and that--in my head. I could be jotting them down on paper. I could be typing them into my phone as Notes or even, into a blog interface. I could be opening a new document on the computer. But I leave them in my head and like a rice-flour kolam, they are slowly consumed and disappear. 

That is fine. Must everything be documented and recorded for posterity? Life itself is a temporary condition. "Everything must change,"as the song goes. I do not lament my lost words. 

This exercise is about treating myself everyday to the physical pleasure of writing--somewhere, anywhere. It is not about preserving my thoughts and words. It is not about readers. It just feels so good to do this. I must indulge myself more often. 

No comments: