Thursday, September 11, 2008

Teaching 'Third World Politics': Reflections 5

So what is this course about?

As it is usually taught in the US, it is about everything. A little bit about colonialism, a little bit about nationalism, a little bit about development, a little bit about gender and a little bit about international relations.

In India, we do not teach politics as if it is special in a developmental context but as students in Bombay University a couple of decades ago, we did study Development Administration. In fact, when I think about it, there was a large development component to my own BA degree: Macro-development Economics, a course on Appropriate Technologies which had some other name as well, Planning and Development Strategies, Development Administration. The Political Science classes were classic topics in political thought, international relations, taught more as humanities than as social science.

I think the problem I am having is not WHAT I would teach as much as what the rubric is that I would give it.

No comments: