Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who would you cite? Southasian women writing international relations & security

This morning, I found this interesting, short (and yes, old) exchange between Daniel Drezner and Laura Sjoberg on how to write about women and international relations: http://bit.ly/12BJJ9, http://bit.ly/29PDNr, http://bit.ly/ajcpm.

Then a little later I found Stephen Walt's and Foreign Affairs' reading lists on the same subject.
Stephen Walt's top 10 picks: Books by women on IR.  Also, see the comments for books he left out, notably those by Cynthia Enloe.
This is Foreign Affairs' list of what to read on women and IR.

It got me thinking about a similar Southasian list. Whose work/ which work would I place on that list? (And I should say that I am thinking of a feminist IR list and not a women scholars list.)

Rita Manchanda, ed., Women, War and Peace in South Asia, Sage, 2001.
Farah Faizal and Swarna Rajagopalan, eds., Women, Security, South Asia: A Clearing in the Thicket, Sage 2006.
Paula Banerjee, ed., Women in Peace Politics, Sage, 2008.

They're all Sage books, and they're all anthologies. Interesting, isn't it?

There are lots of other books that I would consider interesting, useful and must-reads but in this area, feminist scholarship/ scholarship by feminist writers is rare. WISCOMP has had an active research programme and has commissioned some very good work but their publications are not easily accessed in the public domain.

Related read:
Ammu Joseph and Kalpana Sharma, eds., Counter-Terrorism: Women Speak Out, Zed, 2003.

Well, who would you cite? I really would like to know.

PS: Paula Bannerjee reminded me of Anuradha Mitra Chenoy's work on gender and militarism. I should have remembered! But 4-5 works? That's it?

No comments: